Teneo is looking for a talented and driven Associate Director with a passion for business and sustainability to join our team. Teneo is an integrated consultancy, providing strategic counsel to business leaders and CEOs across strategy and communications. This role is to join Teneo’s fast growing sustainability practice, helping high-profile clients to navigate this fast-moving landscape. Our work in the practice spans both strategic and communications advisory.
Built around a core of sustainability and ESG expertise, we can draw on corporate strategists, campaign specialists, policy and regulatory experts, research analysts, financial communications experts, and organisational change and culture practitioners.
The team is led by Huw Maggs (who formally co-led the consultancy Salterbaxter) and Debbie Howard, and includes our senior advisor Pia Heidenmark-Cook (formerly CSO of Ikea).
We’re interested in meeting candidates with a strong sustainability background, and we’re open to hearing from you whether you currently work agency side, or in-house.
It’s key for us that you have a strong technical understanding of the sustainability landscape – issues, policies, standards, debates, corporate practices – and that you are able to work across the strategy and communications spectrum.. And we’d love it if, like us, you’re intellectually curious, creative, collaborative, and eager to learn.
As an Associate Director you’ll be responsible for providing the highest quality of service to our clients, playing a pivotal role in leading multiple, high-profile account teams, giving strategic counsel to senior clients, regularly providing sustainability insight and analysis across our business, and proactively contributing to and fostering the development of junior team members. Associate Directors manage and coach Senior Consultants and Consultants, and work into and learn from Managing Directors and Senior Managing Directors.
Working at Teneo
Teneo works with some of the world’s biggest brands across a wide range of sectors and issues, including energy, tech, FMCG and financial services. Our clients include a significant number of the FTSE 100 and Fortune 100, as well as other global public and private corporations. We’re an ambitious, global consultancy which allows candidates unmatched opportunities to develop and work with inspiring, motivated people.
As an Associate Director at Teneo, you will be:
- Leading teams delivering a range of advisory and communications-driven sustainability mandates – e.g., strategy and targets development; materiality analysis; external landscape research and analysis; narrative and messaging development; communications strategies and advice.
- Responsible for client servicing, profitability, forecasting and budgeting
- Generating new business leads through networks and proactive opportunity spotting
- Providing sustainability insight and intelligence through industry networking
- Proactively contributing to and fostering the development of junior team members, including line managing 1-2 colleagues
- Challenging the status quo with new thinking, new product development, and new ways of working
Skills and Experience
- At least 8 years' experience of working in a sustainability consultancy or in house in a sustainability role.
- Demonstrable experience in managing teams
- Excellent understanding of global sustainability landscape – environmental and social issues; policy and regulation; voluntary standards and multi-stakeholder landscape; stakeholder expectations.
- Excellent ability to shape and deliver strategic advice to senior level clients
- Able to manage and mentor junior staff
- An engaging self-starter with high attention to detail
- Exceptionally strong verbal and written communication skills
- A collaborator who is able to foster good working relationships
- Time management and the ability to prioritise a varied workload
- Comfortable taking the lead on driving performance and revenue
What we can offer
New joiners are supported by an induction programmes, and continuous development is a key focus of life at Teneo - learning and knowledge sharing are at the heart of this. We have an environment and culture that is focused on supporting your development and career progression. We support this with a dedicated Learning Team who provide a range of learning opportunities and personal development support.
Our face-to-face learning is supported by some 100 modules of e-learning available on our internal knowledge management system.
Given our client base you’ll be working on career-defining work that is exciting, rewarding and one where you can make a real impact to high profile projects.
As well as this we offer a whole host of benefits and reward including;
- Competitive salary (depending on experience)
- 28 days holiday
- Discretionary bonus
- Annual salary review
- Pension (with company contribution: 5% of annual salary)
- Enhanced maternity and paternity leave (depending on length of service) and shared parental leave
- Private medical insurance
- Group Income protection
- Life assurance
- Cycle to work schemes
- Season ticket loans
- Regular social, cultural and charitable activities
- Flexible working with office laptop and phone provided
Teneo is the global CEO advisory firm. We partner with our clients globally to do great things for a better future.
Drawing upon our global team and expansive network of senior advisors, we provide advisory services across our five business segments on a stand-alone or fully integrated basis to help our clients solve complex business challenges. Our clients include a significant number of the Fortune 100 and FTSE 100, as well as other corporations, financial institutions, and organizations.
Our full range of advisory services includes strategic communications, investor relations, financial transactions and restructuring, management consulting, physical and cyber risk, organizational design, board and executive search, geopolitics and government affairs, corporate governance, ESG and DE&I.
The firm has more than 1,500 employees located in 40+ offices around the world.