Mark Stanley has 16 years of corporate restructuring experience and advises executive and senior management teams to re-shape their businesses. He specialises in advising clients to; simplify complex international group structures, wind down and exit under-performing/non-core operations and advise financial services business on solvent wind down planning. He has a proven track record of successfully delivering sophisticated restructuring plans which protect value for stakeholders.
His experience includes:
- Leading the design and delivery of a transformational project for a major UK retail bank, reducing the number of companies in the group by 75%, releasing £250m in capital from non-core subsidiaries and delivering significant annual cost savings across the business. This project was a key pillar of the bank’s turnaround plan.
- Working with the executive directors of a large privately owned engineering business, Mark has been the lead restructuring advisor. His role covered providing advice on the group’s financial position, creating an entity priority model to optimise the strategy for disposing of circa £60m of assets, winding up legacy interests, managing contingent risks and returning assets to shareholders.
- Leading a key workstream within one of the largest recent corporate insolvencies. Mark reported directly to the Joint Administrators and led the development of a restructuring plan covering 45 separate companies within the group resulting in c£60m of value being protected for creditors. This involved working closely with the group’s financial director and head of tax.
- Designing the solvent wind down plan for a UK retail bank with 30,000 customers and £445m of assets. This experience involved; working with the bank’s executives to agree a wind down strategy, creating a solvent wind down plan (including cash-flow projections and balance sheet modelling), reporting directly to the bank’s CFO and obtaining approvals from both the Board of Directors and the Prudential Regulation Authority.
- Advising an international private bank to implement their global strategy of reducing the number of booking centres. This required him to work directly with the CFO, CEO and CRO to create a Cessation of Business Plan covering 1,400 clients and £2.8bn of AUM. The plan covered the operational, financial and legal wind down of business, including financial modelling and required approval from the Board of Directors and the regulator.
- Working with private equity investors to restructure £300m of debt within a legacy financing vehicle and; advising the directors of a private equity backed engineering group to reduce the complexity of its capital structure by restructuring its debt instruments. Both engagements involved working closely with specialist tax and legal advisors to deliver successful outcomes.
- Leading the restructuring of a global professional services business following its acquisition in a deal worth $120m. Mark was responsible for a project which delivered £2m in annual cost savings and improved the estimated outcome of the project by £13m as a result of negotiated settlements. He was responsible for creating the global restructuring strategy, running off trading operations, preparing management accounts (including cashflows) and financial statements, working closely with management and other professional advisors to implement the plan across borders, designing payment procedures, negotiating with stakeholders and reporting to the purchaser’s Board of Directors.