Russell Crumpler is a Senior Managing Director with Teneo in the BVI, having joined Teneo following its acquisition of KPMG’s BVI Restructuring business.
Prior to joining Teneo, Russell was the Managing Director of Restructuring at KPMG in the BVI and the Head of Restructuring for KPMG’s Islands Group. Russell is a JIEB qualified FCA who has led the advisory team in the BVI since 2011 and has been working as a restructuring and insolvency specialist since 2000. He is a licensed insolvency practitioner in the BVI and the former chair of RISA (BVI) Limited, the BVI’s INSOL member organisation.
Russell has acted on some of the highest profile BVI Insolvency appointments of recent years including the main Luckin Coffee shareholder entities, Exential, Peak Hotels and Resorts, Titan and Victory Life. Together with his team Russell also delivers Corporate Finance, Forensic and other solutions for clients. Russell regularly speaks at industry conferences both in the BVI and internationally.
Russell has a broad range of restructuring experience, acting in a number of high profile multi-jurisdictional engagements that have involved recognition issues, litigation, asset tracing and other complex matters.
Selected Project Experience
- Court appointed liquidator of an entity used as a key vehicle in a $300-800m UAE originated fraud with up to 6,000 victims. This Liquidation is ongoing but has already resulted in the first published judgment approving third party liquidation funding in the BVI.
- Court appointed liquidator of an entity which held Euro100m in complex assets for the benefit of 7,000 policyholders in Scandinavia and which was placed into Liquidation by the regulator. The Liquidation process was fully completed within two years.
- Court appointed liquidator of a company that was a significant joint shareholder of one of the world’s most luxurious hotel brands (Aman Resorts). The company has been involved in significant litigation in multiple jurisdictions regarding ownership of the underlying assets and other asset tracing claims.
- Court appointed liquidator of a BVI company whose underlying entities owned the largest privately held oil & gas storage facilities in China.
- Court appointed liquidator of the main shareholder entities of China’s largest (by outlet) coffee chain.
- Receiver of various entities with roles to both protect assets pending the resolution of disputes and to take control and sell assets for value.
- Numerous voluntary liquidations of varying complexity – in one instance with multiple subsidiaries and in excess of $17bn of assets, and in others dealing with very high value real estate assets, regulated entities and complex estates of deceased individuals.
- Court appointments over BVI companies associated with UAE, Afghanistan, Cyprus, Ukraine, Russia, Spain, Taiwan, China, the UK, the US and other jurisdictions. Such appointments have included situations where there is a dispute between shareholders/stakeholders, where there is ongoing litigation and/or where asset tracing exercises are required.
- Russell and key members of KPMG BVI’s senior management team have extensive experience providing contingency planning, options analysis and early exit strategies across a wide variety of sectors. Furthermore, KPMG’s BVI team has been named Insolvency Practice of the Year in the BVI Finance awards for 2019 and 2020.