Matt Cowlishaw is a Senior Managing Director with Teneo in Birmingham, having joined Teneo as part of its purchase of Deloitte’s UK Restructuring business.
Matt specializes in restructuring with over 24 years experience. He provides restructuring leadership in situations that require turnaround, non-core divestment, accelerated funding, accelerated M&A, debt restructuring, cash flow management, options analysis, business reviews and stakeholder engagement.
He is also an experienced insolvency practitioner able to prepare contingency plans, support critical situations and ultimately lead insolvency strategies.
He has a broad restructuring skillset but has particular specialisms in the automotive and energy sectors as well as having developed our national employer covenant offering support to pension stakeholders.
His clients include companies, funders, investors and pension trustees.
Matt leads the restructuring practice in the Midlands supporting companies and their stakeholders navigate distress. Matt also leads Deloitte’s Insolvency Delivery Team which undertakes the case management of all our insolvencies and includes our Employment Rights Act specialists.
Matt has a degree in Economics and Econometrics from Nottingham University. Matt is also a qualified chartered accountant and qualified insolvency practitioner.
Selected Project Experience
- Project Shire: Business review for large diversified consumer facing group reporting to lender syndicate
- Project Cronus: Detailed contingency planning for a £2bn global manufacturer of significant importance to the UK economy
- Project Stride: STCF and business review for large Midlands’ construction group for Natwest
- Project Rush: Business and options review and accelerated M&A for well-known Midlands’ leisure group
- Project Oregon: Financial assessment of c.100 companies who have given guarantees to pensions schemes on behalf of government regulator
- Project Gemini: Business review and contingency planning for Education Administration Order for Further Education College
- Project Perch: Business review for engineering group supplying into oil and gas sector in UK and Middle East
- Energy Supply Companies: Options review, contingency planning, supplier of last resort process and administration for several regulated energy supply companies including Tonik, Iresa, Yorkshire and Green Network Energy
- Covpress Assembly: STCF review, options review, contingency planning and managed exit of Chinese owned tier 1 automotive supplier using insolvency
- Project White and Opes: Options review, contingency planning and administration of PFI projects pursuing compensation on termination claims
- Project Atlantis: International insolvency of leisure and real estate group for Bank of Cyprus
- Picsolve: Options review and administration of PE owned global digital photography business supplying into theme parks
- Lead partner on a number of Government framework agreements in relation to financial advice and insolvency appointments
- Large number of insolvency appointments requiring preparation of witness statements and court interaction