Managing Director, Shanghai
Strategy and Communications Advisory
Teneo is the global CEO advisory firm. Working exclusively with the CEOs and senior executives of the world’s leading companies, Teneo provides strategic counsel across their full range of key objectives and issues.
Teneo’s clients include a significant number of the Fortune 100 and FTSE 100, as well as other corporations, financial institutions, and organizations. Integrating the disciplines of strategic communications, investor relations, restructuring, management consulting, physical & cyber risk, financial advisory, corporate governance advisory, ESG, DE&I, political & policy risk, and talent advisory, Teneo solves for the most complex business challenges and opportunities.
As we continue to grow our operations in Greater China, Teneo is looking for a high caliber candidate to join our professional team in Shanghai as a Managing Director, Strategy and Communications. Our team brings together disciplines of corporate communications, public affairs, crisis and issues management, investor and media relations, research and digital capabilities in an integrated approach to provide clients with unparalleled business counsel and tactical support around the world.
Managing Directors are highly motivated individuals with significant experience leading teams and overseeing major client accounts while consistently generating new business opportunities. You will be expected to advise clients through a range of business-critical moments including strategy articulation and operationalization, corporate positioning, financial transactions, leadership changes, crises, and risk management.
- Provide CEO-level guidance and counsel on an array of reputational, positioning, risk and policy priorities to multinational and domestic companies
- Deliver a range of solutions to clients that may draw on disciplines from public affairs, issues management, reputation campaigning and strategic communications
- Advise on political risk and policy response by developing effective frameworks through advocacy, media relations, thought leadership, and stakeholder outreach
- Drive business development and secure new client mandates through your network and marketing initiatives
- Provide sophisticated stakeholder mapping, detailed audits, sentiment analysis, and insights
- Accept responsibility for making complex decisions impacting colleagues and clients on a timely and transparent manner
- Support Teneo’s corporate development and recruitment growth in Greater China by suggesting and securing talent through your professional network
- Identify opportunities beyond Strategy & Communications to deliver integrated solutions to client challenges and business growth
- Pursue relationships with partners at all levels to secure sponsorship of projects and drive change efforts within Teneo; promote broad; sustained networking and collaboration
- 15+ years’ experience in corporate communications, public affairs or suitably relevant roles
- Experience in both multinational corporations and professional services consultancies is preferred
- Native Putonghua and English capabilities are required
- A proven track record in client origination and growing client mandates
- Experience in advising on issues and reputational matters
- A seasoned leader with strong management and organizational skills, including people management
- A deep network inside China that should include corporate leaders, senior opinion influencers in media and ideally policy related individuals
- A strong understanding of geo-politics and how global issues relate to domestic considerations
- Educational background in Public Policy, Political Science, Business Administration, Strategic Communications, Economics, or Management is preferred