Consultant, Situations and Political
A Consultant in Teneo’s Situations and Political team is the lynch-pin for account co-ordination and brings a strong approach to project and time management. They’re responsible for staying ahead of political, policy and issues developments from key stakeholders, and for applying strong client-focused insight. They ensure that all client reporting is completed and shared in a timely manner.
Consultants work into and learn from our Senior Consultants, Associate Directors and Managing Directors, with the structure of each team varying across clients, based on the scope and client need. They are role models for junior colleagues, and actively contribute to making Teneo a stimulating, stretching and dynamic place to work.
We are looking for exceptional candidates with wide-ranging perspectives who, like us, are intellectually curious, creative, collaborative and eager to learn.
Situations and Political Consulting at Teneo
Reputational and political risk is one of the pre-eminent concerns of every board in Britain today. We help business leaders position themselves for success during times of opportunity, change and crisis.
We help clients navigate political uncertainty, engage constructively and productively with political stakeholders, and achieve business objectives by shaping a positive (or benign) political, policy and regulatory environment in the UK.
Our work includes advising senior clients on political developments; helping clients to shape and respond to government policy proposals; developing communication strategies that showcase client best practice; supporting clients to communicate their positions to political stakeholders; identifying and tracking risks; commissioning original research on client areas of interest.
We work closely with colleagues in the other Centres of Excellent across Teneo: Campaigning, Financial, and Strategy.
- Build good client relationships and provide strong coordination for client work and teams
- Stay well informed, with a passion for politics, policy and current affairs generally, and sharing knowledge with teams and clients
- Offer credible and relevant client counsel and advice, drawing from understanding of the client’s business model
- Understand the importance of managing deadlines and proactively communicate about progress against them, including upward management where required
- Reliable and responsive with a positive attitude and willingness to get involved without waiting to be asked
- Contribute to the team’s connectivity and insight by developing own external network within the political and policy sphere
- Identifying opportunities for new business and organic growth for existing clients
- Develop relationships with colleagues in London and around the world
- A positive, flexible and ambitious team player
Skills and Experience
- Around three to five years’ experience in a political or policy role, or a communications role with significant political or policy aspects to it
- Experience generating high quality political or communications research and analysis – including recommendations for action - in a useable and engaging way
- Desirable: Experience of policy development via experience with a think tank, civil service, a party political role, or in-house
- Excellent oral and written communications skills, tailoring style of communication to the intended audience
- Ability to build and sustain good client relationships
- Appetite to build their own skills and knowledge
- Enthusiasm about creativity and campaigning, including working with and across different communications disciplines to deliver maximum impact
- Proactively seek and develop new and better ways of delivering client work
- Work well under pressure, problem solving independently of senior team when required
About Teneo London
Teneo London advises business leaders, enabling them to achieve goals faster by earning trust, navigating disruption and removing barriers.
We’re focused on strategy & communications advisory, working in close partnership with clients to help them address their biggest reputational and business issues. We have four Centres of Excellence – Campaigning, Strategy, Situations and Political, and Financial – but just one P&L, so we enjoy all the benefits of integrated working without the politics.
- Competitive salary (depends on experience)
- 28 days holiday
- DEI Day
- Discretionary bonus
- Annual salary review
- Pension (company contribution: 5% of annual salary)
- Extensive investment in personal development & learning
- Enhanced maternity and paternity leave (depending on length of service) and shared parental leave
- Private medical insurance
- Group Income protection
- Life assurance
- Cycle to work schemes
- Season ticket loans
- Regular social, cultural and charitable activities