As a Consultant in Teneo’s Situations and Political team you'll have a passion for politics and public policy, with demonstrable interest in these areas from your studies and/or experience in the field. This could be gained from work experience or internships within politics or public policy, e.g. working for an MP, a think tank, a campaigning charity, or a political party. Specific UK political experience is required for this role.
Within our team you'd play a crucial role keeping clients informed of political and policy developments at Westminster and the devolved institutions. You'd also be a critical support to our overall team when it comes account co-ordination and client updates.
You'll work into and learn from our other Consultants, Senior Consultants and Associate Directors with the structure of each team varying across clients, based on the scope and client need.
We are looking for exceptional candidates with wide-ranging perspectives who, like us, are intellectually curious, creative, collaborative and eager to learn.
Situations and Political Consulting at Teneo
Reputational and political risk is one of the pre-eminent concerns of every board in Britain today. In the team you'll help business leaders position themselves for success during times of opportunity, change and crisis.
You will also help clients navigate political uncertainty, engage constructively and productively with political stakeholders, and achieve business objectives by shaping a positive (or benign) political, policy and regulatory environment in the UK.
Our work includes advising senior clients on political developments; helping clients to shape and respond to government policy proposals; developing communication strategies that showcase client best practice; supporting clients to communicate their positions to political stakeholders; identifying and tracking risks; commissioning original research on client areas of interest.
Alongside the team you will work closely with colleagues in the other Centres of Excellent across Teneo: Campaigning, Financial, and Strategy.
- Highly accurate written work demonstrating consistent attention to detail
- Build good client relationships and provide strong coordination for client work and teams
- An appetite to learn on the job, while having access to a wide range of development and training opportunities across the agency
- Stay well informed, with a passion for politics, policy and current affairs generally, and sharing knowledge with teams and clients
- Understand the importance of managing deadlines and proactively communicate about progress against them, including upward management where required
- Reliable and responsive with a positive attitude and willingness to get involved without waiting to be asked
- Contribute to the team’s connectivity and insight by developing own external network within the political and policy sphere
- A positive, flexible and ambitious team player
Skills and Experience
- Demonstrable evidence of interest in UK politics or public policy, gained either in work experience in one of the following;
- Worked for an MP or a Peer (Lord)
- Previous experience with a UK political party (e.g. Conservative, Labour, SNP, Lib Dem)
- Previous work within a think tank – e.g. Policy Exchange, Resolution Foundation, Centre for Social Justice
- Previous experience in public affairs or policy team of a charity or a business
- Previous experience in policy development and policy campaigning
- Good evidence and experience in communications industry
- Excellent oral and written communications skills, tailoring style of communication to the intended audience
- Appetite to build their own skills and knowledge
- Enthusiasm about creativity and campaigning, including working with and across different communications disciplines to deliver maximum impact
About Teneo London
Teneo London advises business leaders, enabling them to achieve goals faster by earning trust, navigating disruption and removing barriers.
We’re focused on strategy & communications advisory, working in close partnership with clients to help them address their biggest reputational and business issues. We have four Centres of Excellence – Campaigning, Strategy, Situations and Political, and Financial – but just one P&L, so we enjoy all the benefits of integrated working without the politics.
- Competitive salary (dependent on experience)
- 28 days holiday
- Discretionary bonus
- Annual salary review
- Pension (company contribution: 5% of annual salary)
- Extensive investment in personal development & learning
- Enhanced maternity and paternity leave (depending on length of service) and shared parental leave
- Private medical insurance
- Group Income protection
- Life assurance
- Cycle to work schemes
- Season ticket loans
- Regular social, cultural and charitable activities